The Porch c.1450
The porch has been successively restored, the front having been last
refaced in 1913.
Of considerable interest is the lovely roof with
its tie beams and battlemented wall plates.
An unusual feature is
the middle rail on the east side which is moulded to form a shelf.
The Stoup for holy water and the doorway are of the same period c.1430
and the latte, with its carvings of foliage, pomegranate and Tudor rose
is a particularly good example of 15th Century craftsmanship. It is
possible that the heads on either side of the doorway represent
sovereigns of the period.The Nave
the Tower Arch once stood an image of St. Katharine, a favourite saint of
this neighbourhood. By his will of July 6th 1473, one William Maykyn
"Bequeathed to the keeping and maintenance of a wax light perpetually to
be found, and to burn upon the Lord's Day and Festivals, before the
image of St.Katharine in the church of Alpheton, a young cow".In those
days it was common practice for a benefactor to bequeath a heifer to a
church. This was then hired out in order to raise the money necessary to
comply with his last wishes.
On the north wall of the Nave are the
remains of a wall painting of St.Christopher. though its details are
faded , the main outline can still be traced, and an impression of the
original drawn in 1913 can be found nearby. On the south side of the
Nave, the windows contain some 15th century glass.The Pulpit
The Pulpit is Jacobean, though the
base is modern. Originally three decker it stood on the north side.
Prayers were read from the lowest stage, lessons from the middle and
sermons from the top
In 1976 the Church was fortunate in its acquisition of a pipe organ. The
organ case dated about 1825. It clearly once housed a barrel organ and
alist of tunes unfortunately beyond deciphering is pasted inside the
back panel of the case. The organ itslef is of a later date. In 1989 the
ceiling of the Nave was repaired and further repairs carried out on the
windows and Tower.
There are now only two bells, the two largest having
been soldin 1780 "to pew the church". The inscriptions on the two
remaining bells are "Robert gurney made me, 1667"
Its 13th century base of black Purbeck marble had
four corner pillars. The upper part or bowl, disappeared and was
replaced by 15th century octagonal work. The cover is modern, having
been placed there to commemmorate the death of King Edward VII in 1910.
The poppy heads and some of the
choir stalls are almost certainly of medieval construction. A number of
them were made from oak trees grown in the grounds of the old Rectory.
The Chancel Arch
The niche on the south side shows considerable traces of colour. It
probably once held an image of a saint or the Virgin Mary and was
destroyed along with the Rood Screen during the Reformation. On the
North side the niche has been recited higher on the wall to accommodate
an opening made in 1839 through which the choir could see and hear the
preacher more easily. In 1906, the decayed base of the old Rood Screen
was replaced by a stone one, and the staircase to the Rood Loft, hidden
since 1839 was rediscovered and opened to view. Nothing remains of the
actual screen, but it is apparent that it was secured in the grooves cut
into the stonework of the arch.The Chancel
The back of the priest's stall is composed of two misericords (a small
shelf for leaning on during long periods of prayer).
The 14th century
Piscina(a shallow basin for washing the communion vessels) and Sedilia
(stone seats for the priest during Mass) were probably fine examples of
carving of the period, although only the Piscina and the Sub-deacon's
seat to the west retain their ogee arches.